Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stuff

I entirely neglected to make any resolutions this year.  In years past, it has been weight loss, getting fit, getting out of debt and the result has been, staying the same weight or gaining more, the same old same old for exercise and in as much if not more debt.  So, what's the point?  This year I've set my mind to seeking the will of God for me in this time in my life and to do it wholeheartedly <---- yes I just borrowed that from Sound of Music.  I'm praying for a positive way to do diffuse my anxiety and replace it with peace.  But I didn't set it as a resolution, because in my mind goals are for falling short and resolutions are for breaking.  So without so much as a blink, New Year's came and went without resolution or goal setting.

In Nov. I had mostly cleared the garage, selling things we didn't need and/or hadn't used in years, bringing in a tidy sum that we intended to use for Christmas, but ended up using on unexpected house repairs.  One item not in disuse that I sold was our second TV.  Now, I had been asking Dear Hubby for months if we could sell it because it was getting far too MUCH use and suddenly, finally, he relented!  I really could not believe it and I really could not be more happy it is gone.  There are no more or less disagreements about TV domination then there was.

What has totally amazed me in recent weeks has been my dear Husband's change of heart regarding frugality, letting stuff go, and no longer just sense of urgency about getting debt paid, but a determination to do so.  In the last two weeks, we garaged his dying car and cancelled cable TV. This was quite shocking to me.  See, in the past my husband's alter ego, Mr. Spendy, has often had his way with our money.  Providing the latest in electronic gadgets, the best in toys for our children and for himself, was Mr. Spendy's form of therapy.  And I am not totally in the clear here - my yarn habit and accrual of eBooks had gotten a bit crazy.  Mr. Spendy, it would seem, has been shelved in favor of Mr. Balanced - or at least that's what I like to call him ;)

In case anyone hasn't yet noticed, the economy is NOT getting any better.


No comments:

Post a Comment