Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Exercising the Pantry: GF Bread

Exercising the Pantry: 1 box of Gluten-Free Pantry Bread Mix - 2 loaves of bread.



1 box of Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix makes 1 loaf of bread. It is a rather generous sized loaf, rises nicely, great texture, neutral flavor, no complaints. Except the cost.... one box = $6 and that has gone up in the last  6 mos when I used to be able to get it for $5.29 a box.  Feeding a family of 7, one loaf does NOT go far, I'm lucky if the heel is leftover after lunch and if we have friends visiting, I inevitably have to make more than one loaf.   I seriously cannot afford to spend that much on bread.  Consequently we only have bread once every 2 weeks.

In case it's not common knowledge, while GFP bread mix is pretty like regular bread, nice brown crust that's not too hard, white center, etc and does have a similar texture, it's kind of devoid of much in the way of nutrition. Necessity being the mother of invention, I started thinking, how can I stretch this out and pack in more nutrition?  What do I have in the pantry?  Coconut flour, Chia seeds, and sunflower seeds.  Now coconut flour is a beautiful thing, it is full of fiber and has a good amount of protein, be aware that it absorbs almost twice the amount of water as regular flour does so plan accordingly if you use it to stretch some of your own pre-mixes. Chia seeds also have a ton of fiber and add protein as well, along with with adding a very slight nutty flavor (that you'd be missing from wheat if you're just switching to Gluten-Free) and are chock full Omega fatty acids.  Sunflower seeds (because my kiddo with allergies also can not do any nuts) add protein, healthy fat, and that nuttiness that I miss in multi-grain breads.  

The bread mix itself calls for the following:
1 3/4 of water or milk (or some combo of the two - the milk can be any type, soy, rice, almond, cow)
4 tbls of oil or melted butter (I have used sunflower oil, butter, and coconut oil - I prefer NOT to use the coconut oil if I can help it because I feel the texture is too dry)
2 whole eggs

This is what I add:
1/4 c. plus 1 tbl (approx) coconut flour
2 tbl Chia seeds ground or whole (I prefer to grind them myself in the coffee grinder - Chia is very volatile do NOT buy them pre-ground unless you just want the fiber)
1/2 C Sunflower seeds coarsely chopped (I do a few spins in the coffee grinder)
1 addl egg
1 addl tbl of oil
3/4 addl liquid (water or milk)

Assembly:

-Put mix, yeast, sunflower seeds, and coconut flour in mixing bowl and set aside.  
-In a separate microwavable mixing bowl, put in water/milk and oil/butter and heat to around 100 degrees - if you use cold eggs, 110 degrees
-In another bowl beat eggs (I specified 3 eggs, but you could use as many as 5 if you like) lightly - carefully add to warm water mixture
-Using egg bowl (or clean one if you prefer) add the Chia seeds (ground or whole) and mix with 1/2 c. of cool water, stir for about 30 sec. and set aside to let it set up
-Use this time to grease your bread pans - we're making 2 loaves - I found that butter works great for this because it won't melt into the bread while it's rising as much as coconut oil will and stays put unlike oil)

Ok, now that everything is ready, turn your mixer on low and rather quickly add the water/egg mixture and the chia seed mixture - turn mixer up to med-high scraping once and run it for about 3 min.  The consistency will be like cake batter.

Divide into two loaf pans and cover, let rise for at least 30 min, (I keep my house pretty cool in the winter so mine tends to take nearly an hour) and pre-heat the oven to 375.

Bake for 30 min. turning halfway through if your oven tends to cook unevenly like mine does.

When it's finished baking turn out onto cooling rack after about 5 min and then allow to cool considerably (we can never wait till they're completely cool) before slicing.  


2 comments:

  1. I am so excited you decided to share this... considering I don't remember exact conversations anymore. LOL awesome! can't wait to recreate what you did... seriously it tasted AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete