Friday, March 15, 2013

Craft Corner: Posters - Crayon Trick

One caution: do NOT try this with Crayola brand - it will NOT work!


The boys are going to see Monster Jam with Dear Hubs (aka their Dad) in the very near future.  So what does EVERY fan of Monster Trucks do for that kind of ear splitting event?  Make posters of their favorite trucks, of course.

This really means that I make posters, of course.  I could say that it's because the boys aren't focused enough to work on them until they're finished (because we waited till the last minute to get them done), but honestly, it's because I'm OCD and the thought of my 3 year wielding a permanent marker makes me edgy.  My 9 yr old could probably handle it, but then we're back to me and being OCD.

So postering (<------new word)commences and things are going well, I even let the kids help!  Kinda...

We have two types of crayons, Crayola (aka the good kind) and the art set crayons (aka the crappy kind).  The art set kind are crappy because they do this:



<-------------  Grey crappy crayon + lumpy, waxy mess = my head exploding








Right away I attempt to smooth out the mess with a napkin.  No go.  All it did was clear away most of the pigment from the stuff that WAS smooth.  
Then I think, maybe if I melt it a bit!  I ask my older daughter to go grab the hair dryer, but then call her back before she gets too far because I remembered I have a Heat Gun!!!!  It's supposed to be used for embossing, but I figured no one would be upset if I use it for crappy crayon mess.
To work I go -- Dear Hubs was kind enough to get action shots...




So, on the top you can see that heat gun and a q-tip worked really well in smoothing out the grey lumpy mess, turned out beautifully smooth.  The black, which was Crayola, didn't really budge when I ended up scorching the paper a bit.  This is why you pay more for Crayola.  However, for something where you want freedom to try this technique, crappy crayons it will have to be.  Here's the other poster, just because I like it so much =D  I free-hand copied it from this guy's art.  (Max-D was free-hand from my 3 yr old's Hot Wheels)














No comments:

Post a Comment