Friday, March 15, 2013

Craft Corner: Fingerless gloves and Hand Anotomy

I made a pair of these fingerless gloves for a friend.  It's a really great pattern and I LOVE that there are only two ends to weave in, the tail for the starting chain and the finish end!!!


The patterns allows for the final product to be nice and stretchy and I love the frilly picot edging.  I have another friend, Miss Europe, for whom I thought these would be perfect.  She mentioned that she uses something similar at the gym to grip bars and things because they hurt the inner side of her proximal interphalangeal.
Just so you know, we weren't calling them that yesterday.  Yesterday we made a mess of hand anatomy all together, with lovely descriptions such as knuckles, punch knuckles, joints, the 1st joint under the fingernail bed.  Which led to some pretty funny diagrams in an effort to get measurements.




<-------- my scribbles, plus some design ideas


Miss Europe's hand tracing and VERY clear measurements -------->




So after some discussion about yarn fiber - I decided at least on two models - one with cotton and a soft superwash wool panel that's folded under for extra padding and moisture absorbancy and one made entirely of wool. I fully expect for there to be wear in the palm, but I'm wondering which will wear smooth without getting torn up - the cotton or the wool - and which will hold up better to the washing.  With no dryer, I'm expecting that the cotton may not spring back as well, but it may preserve the fiber longer.  So as soon as these testers are complete they will be on their way.  Unfortunately, it'll still be 2 wks before I begin as my sons would be very hurt if I didn't complete their vests first.
Look for updates after Easter =D

No comments:

Post a Comment